Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Manic Mom Monthly Menu

My first blog failed.  I attempted too much and ended up giving up altogether.  I was trying to post my monthly menus with links to all recipes, and then do a detailed "how to" post for each recipe, including pictures.  After a week I discovered it was WAY too time consuming and abandoned it.
I also don't always have a monthly menu.  While Jason was away for 6 months, I didn't make any menus.  We ate a lot of PB&J, eggs for dinner, and ate out.  Being pregnant and packing up a house at the same time just didn't inspire me to cook as much as I usually try to.

Since we got settled in in Colorado, I have been trying to at least come up with a weekly menu.  The commissary is close, but not so close that I want to run out and pick up a missing ingredient.  I also wasn't shopping at the commissary initially, but I've discovered it saves us between $20 and $40 a week on groceries, so I'll make the hike.

I got inspired over the weekend and dug up last year's September menu- that really made the process quicker, though I had to sub out some recipes that weren't hits- and take out some vegetarian meals since Jason has expressed that he prefers meat at every meal (too bad- we're eating meatless at least once a week).

So here's my menu plan for the next four weeks, sorry links not included.

Week 1
Rotisserie Chicken with Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Steamed Green Beans
Chicken Taco Soup with Home-made cornbread
Kung Pow Chicken over Jasmine Rice
Beef Stroganoff and Oven-Roasted Zuchinni
Lemon Garlic Tilapia over Quinoa, with Steamed Broccoli

Week 2
Shrimp Pad Thai
Chicken Fajitas
Sausage, Lentil and Kale Soup w/ French Bread
Pan-seared Pork with Potatoes and Lemon, with a side of Shredded Brussels Sprouts and almonds.
Veggie Calzones (providing I can find refridgerated pizza dough)

Week 3
Bacon and Broccoli Quiche
Turkey Spaghetti w/ mixed veggies
Pork and Green Bean Stir-Fry over Jasmine Rice
Tilapia Tacos w/ fresh salsa and guacamole
Granny's Veggie Chili and home-made cornbread

Week 4
Lentil Soup with Sourdough croutons
Keema curry w/ naan
Red-wine marinated steak with roasted root vegetables and potatoes
Stir-fried ginger chicken w/ rice
Baked pork schnitzel w/ white wine and lemon sauce, with roasted Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes

I plan 5 menus a week to account for the fact that at least 1 night we are going to eat leftovers, and 1 night I demand to be taken out.  I saw an apron at Salvation Army that said something to the extent of, "A wife who cooks and cleans deserves many thanks and dinner out once a week." But the apron version rhymed and I cannot for the life of me remember what it was- or I'd paint it on my kitchen wall.  I can't agree more.  At least one night a week I go on strike and refuse to even microwave anything- because there are still dished to be cleaned, tables to be wiped, and floors to be swept after a leftover dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment