Monday, September 13, 2010

Dominic's Room

When I arrived in Colorado, I expected my shipment to be right behind me.  However, because of the wonders of military shipping, it was diverted all over the country before it actually made to my doorstep, 6 days after the date I had initially been told.  I had arranged for Dominic to spend the week with his grandparents so he wouldn't have to be caught up in the moving of furniture and unpacking, and so that he could arrive at his new house with his new room set up with all his things.  It was just not to be.

Dom's Room Before
But, since I had a week off of work (no internet access or desk yet- so I didn't have the option to return early) and nothing to clutter up the house- I decided to make the most of the situation and paint!  I choose Dominic's room first for 2 reasons: 1) he would have the hardest time with the transition and 2) he has the most furniture of any room in the house- no kidding.
Dom's Room Before

First a word about the general condition of the house.  It was in pretty good shape- decent carpet, everything works, etc, but every wall and ceiling was the exact same color of off-white, and all the trim was this really beat-up "foak" color that had been sealed with something so shiny, you could not longer tell it was real wood and not plastic.

Eventually, all that plastic-wood will be painted white, but I'm taking it one room at at time- that's about all I can manage these days.  Dominic's room got the white trim treatment, and 2 coats of "Spa" blue by Olympic.  I picked Olympic because it has Zero VOCs- even the colors.  Without further ado- I give you Dominic's room with it's new color, decorations, and furniture (all painted by me, btw).  I have not given you a shot of his closet though- as I have yet to re-hang the doors.  I need Jason's help, and I've only been asking for about a month- so it's should only be another 2 months before it actually gets done.

I didn't take a picture of his other bookshelf and the "Goodnight Moon" lithograph- it was too close to the undoored closet.  I'm also not one for staging a photo. What you see is pretty much what his room looks like on any given day- wires showing, bed slightly rumpled, etc.  Did I mention I also made his quilt?  I am pretty proud of the fact that his toys are picked up everyday and not allowed to get out of control, now if only we could institute the same policy for our kitchen bar!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I remember that van Gogh ;) Nice job on the room...it looks great!

    ReplyDelete